Better rules for a better environment:Modern Beverage Container Policy
03 December 2009
"Mandatory deposits are a hindrance to environmental and financial efficiency. They belong in the dustbin of history."
This paper covers the following issues:
- Origin of mandatory deposits
- Mandatory deposits have failed to protect refillable bottles
- On other measures too, deposit-bearing containers fail to deliver environmental benefits
- Mandatory deposits increase pollution
- Mandatory deposts and litter--no relation
- Mandatory deposits are expensive and inefficient
- Mandatory deposits are unfair and confusing
- Mandatory deposits are incompatible with the European Single Market
- Mandatory deposits: an idea whose time has gone.